Thursday, February 17, 2011

For The Love Of Some Trees

Harvey Almorn Updyke, Jr, is 62 years old, lives in Dadeville, Alabama, and loves his University of Alabama Crimson Tide football team. He also strongly dislikes the football team at the University of Auburn. This became apparent when, after Auburn beat Alabama in the annual Iron Bowl, he allegedly poisoned two 130 year old oak trees at Toomer's Corner in Auburn. He likely wouldn't have been caught if it weren't for a phone call he made to a local radio station. He posed as "Al from Dadeville", and admitted to poisoning the trees with a herbicide called Spike 80DF because he saw a Cam Newton jersey on the statue of head coaching great Paul "Bear" Bryant.

To me, this seems fairly drastic, considering the damage both pranks had done. It's funny, yes, but uncalled for. If the Bryant statue had been torn down by Auburn fans, we're having a different conversation right now, but not for putting a player's jersey on it. He may have some mental or psychological issues, it seems to me. If you've heard the audio of the phone call (I can't find it online yet), you probably agree that something is a tad off with this guy. He has been arrested and charged with first-degree criminal mischief, and if he's convicted, he's looking at anywhere from one to 10 years in prison. I hope it was worth it, sir.

I find myself thinking about what I would do if I were in the same position that Updyke was in, witnessing the defilement of his beloved team's property (I was born in Toledo, Ohio and raised a Buckeye. O-H!), and I can say that I relate to him a bit. I don't think I would stoop to his level of nonsense, but sure, if some Michigan fans did something to The 'Shoe or anything around it, I would retaliate if given the opportunity.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on this one. Would you have done what Mr. Updyke did to get back at your team's arch rival? Have you participated in such shenanigans?

No comments:

Post a Comment